Chicken is probably one of the easiest meats to cook. With those warmer summer nights around the corner, we look at some ways to add a bit of taste and freshness to our chicken for the coming summer.
We recommend that whatever meat you source, you go for organic whenever possible. The organic chicken used for this recipe was supplied by Abel & Cole, who deliver wonderful, seasonal, organic produce right to your door! We have most of our vegetables delivered by them and always look forward to our Thursday morning delivery. As we don’t eat meat very often, we like it to be ethically sourced and not pumped full of antibiotics and other nasties. We also recommend that you base your meals around great vegetables and plants, the more colourful, the better!
The below roasted chicken recipe couldn’t be simpler. It will take you less than 5 minutes to prepare.
Citrus Roasted Chicken
Add that citrus taste and freshness to your summer nights
What you'll need:
- 4 chicken thighs or drumsticks.
- 1 orange, sliced in segments.
- 1 tbsp virgin olive oil.
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper.
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced.
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled.
- oven and baking tray.
What to do:
- Preheat your oven to 200ºC and have your baking tray ready.
- Lightly coat the chicken with the olive oil.
- Place the chicken thighsdrumsticks in the baking tray and squeeze a couple of the orange segments over the chicken. Top the chicken with the slices of chilli and season with sea salt and pepper.
- Distribute the remaining orange segments and garlic cloves around the chicken throughout the baking tray.
- Pop the tray in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Take the baking tray out of the oven and squeeze one of the orange segments over the chicken then bake for another 15 minutes.
- Again we recommend serving the chicken with colourful vegetables and/or a simple salad on the side.
- The oranges used to cook with the chicken can be eaten at the end of the dinner, a sweet way to finish the meal.